Friday, August 15, 2008

The Perks of Motherhood

I was just thinking about what a hard week this has been and how I should post all things that happen. Not just the cute, fun things in our lives.
So... the week started out with Beau having a fever Sunday and not sleeping. Scarlett getting a fever Monday. Waking up all hours of the night. (worse than a newborn because she was screaming bloody murder!) Tuesday morning I got up at 5:00am for my workout. Workout partner slept in so I decided to run on treadmill at home. mistake. Scarlett woke at 5:30am, Beau shortly followed. Dad and TV helped me get my much needed run in anyways. Scarlett was so cranky that she would whine and cry unless I was holding her. She wouldn't eat. Beau told me he hated me about 4 times. (I wouldn't let him play with friends because he would not clean up) While watching a commercial on TV Beau told me that I had to get him a cell phone. I started laughing and he said, "Ashley has a real one". Ashley is the 6 year old neighbor he plays with. I felt as though I had a teenager already hating me and wanting a phone!!
Then the worst night ever with Scarlett waking every 2 or 3 hours screaming and kicking. Something was wrong. Her fever had been gone for days and she still wasn't sleeping. I was tired and so was she. I took her to the doctor. She had a mouth and throat full of ulcers. Poor thing. We went straight to the store to get an antibiotic, advil, ice cream, and chocolate milk. Last night she didn't go to sleep until late. Around 5am this morning I heard her crying. Tobe said she had woke up around 12:00 and he had put her in the toy room to watch TV and she fell asleep. Back in bed with us again. Tobe left for work around 6 and Beau was in our bed too. He woke up around 7 and had peed in our bed on my sheets and comforter and was laughing about it. (anyone with kids must invest in a waterproof mattress cover!) Scarlett was sound asleep on my feet at the bottom of the bed. So now it is Friday and I am glad this week is almost over. So after all of this is over, at the end of the day or night--- there is nothing better than Beau giving me a hug and saying "I love you mama." and Scarlett laying in her crib when I tuck her in saying, "Love you, night night mama." I wouldn't trade it for anything. Did I mention the perks yet?! I love watching my kids grow and learn new things. I love listening to Beau bless the Lamanites every night in his prayers. And Bless that his friends will sleep well. I love that he wanted to make a prayer rock and that he reminds me when I forget to have prayer. I love how Scarlett is so hung up on being "big". She gets so mad if Beau tells her she is the little sister. "I big too!", she says. Our baby is going on 3 and growing so fast. I hope to try and enjoy all the moments of motherhood. I am a lucky mom and wife.

7 comments:

Burke family said...

Well put! Don't you just love this job?! No one can make you feel as happy or as sad as these little ones can. I'm sorry you've had such a rough week. Hopefully you're on the upswing now! Thanks for finding my blog. Now that I don't get to come visit you, we can keep up-to-date through our blogs. :)

Johnathan and Mackenzie said...

ohh they are soo cute and getting so big, I have so much to look forward too when Kieran gets older and has siblings. and by the way you asked how I like my stoller and I love it, is is so nice and easy and portable, the wheels are a bit wide but thats the only bad thing.

Paige said...

yuck. hand, foot, and mouth! Been there done that. Worse thing ever! I hope they are feeling better soon. You are such a good Mom!

Kirsten Brockner said...

thanks Paige- thankfully it was not the hand, foot, and mouth. I asked the doc and he said it was just a virus. The antibiotic kicked in and she is doing good now. We missed your visit up here!

Pam said...

Hope your kids are doing better this week! And you're right, being a mom is definitely full of really high highs and really low lows. Gotta love it.

Piper said...

i miss them everyday. i miss playing detective with beau.

Rebecca Foster said...

I am so sad to hear how sick the kids were. I hope you are all feeling better. I love hearing you talk about being a mom. It gives me hope someday I will get to experience it. You are a wonderful mom and wife. I admire you so much. You do very hard things very well! And so talented.

I hope this week is better, wish I could have seen everyone at Kieran's blessing.